Monday, March 27, 2017

A Day in the Life of a Stressed Out Senior

Hi everybody!

Today, I'd like to break slightly from the profiles I've been writing for the last few weeks on various faces around St. Mike's. Here is a truthful, unadulterated look into what a "typical" day is like for me this semester (although there's really no such thing as typical this time of year).

8:00am: Time to Get Up


On Monday, Wednesday & Friday, I force myself out of bed much earlier than I'd like to, so that I have time to relax and drink coffee before the day begins. On Tuesday & Thursday, I actually wake up at 6:15am because I have to be at my internship at 8:00am. I don't usually eat breakfast (although I probably should), but coffee is essential.

9:30am: Work Study / Internship

As I mentioned earlier, I have my internship on T/TH, and I'm typically there until around noon. I work at a local high school in the Guidance Department as part of Practicum, a year-long experience available for Psychology majors at SMC. On other days, I have my work study as an office assistant for the departments of Undergraduate Psychology, Graduate Clinical Psychology, Neuroscience, and the Institutional Review Board. I've done this for four years, and it's given me excellent experience. (If you qualify for it, I really suggest having a work study at St. Mike's.)]

12:15pm: Lunch


Eating is one of the greatest joys of life. Because I live in a townhouse, I don't eat in Alliot like many St. Mike's students do. Instead, I'm responsible for cooking my own food. Although cooking may be a chore for some, it's one of my favorite things to do. I don't really have time to cook throughout the week, so I spend my Sundays prepping my food for the week. It make's my life a whole lot easier.

1:30pm: Go Learn Stuff


I have a really interesting and atypical course schedule this semester. All of my courses are one day a week (T/W/Th), and are approximately 1:30pm-4:30pm. On Mondays and Fridays, I try to relax or do homework but usually I have some sort of errand to run. On Tuesday I have TH-410 Senior Seminar in Theatre, Wednesday I have PS-460 Practicum II: Working in the Mental Health System, and Thursday I have EN-323 Poetry Writing Workshop. I absolutely love having three discussion-style courses, and two of them are comprised of just seniors.

5:00pm: Be an Artist

Evenings are when rehearsals are! Today is an especially packed rehearsal day. At 5:00 is rehearsal for The War of the Worlds, the production I'm directing as part of Senior Seminar in Theatre. At 7:00 I'm getting together with some of my peers to work on a song we're preparing in order to audition to sing at Commencement. I have to leave early, at 7:30pm to rehearse with my friend Emily whose recital is this Saturday. Then at 8:30 is Mike Check rehearsal! (Dinner fits in here somewhere. I'm not really sure when I eat but I somehow manage to! Note the whole meal prep thing.)

10:00pm: Homework?

Realistically, I try to get my homework done on the weekends and whenever else I have free time. Sometimes this means staying up late and doing homework, during the week, but I'd much rather have this time to hang out with friends.

11:30pm: Go to Sleep!


I try to be asleep by 11:30 each night. This usually doesn't actually happen.


I hope this gives you some insight to the bittersweet insanity of spring semester senior year! Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions or comments. Make sure to check next week for another Day in the Life that I promise won't be about me!

No comments:

Post a Comment