Monday, March 6, 2017

A Day in the Life of: An American Studies Major

Meet Tyler Manley!!!

(The guy on the left)

Tyler is a senior American Studies major with a minor in Media Studies.

What drew you to American Studies?

I never really knew what I wanted to study coming in to college, but I knew I really liked learning about history, and especially American History, in high school. I declared the major at the end of my freshman year after taking U.S. History II (Since 1865) because I figured I'd major in something I definitely enjoy.

What about American Studies at St. Mike's do you like the most?

My favorite part is the mix of History and English and that you can kind of choose where you want to go with it.

Is there an area of American Studies that fascinates you the most?

I really like the cultural aspects of history, especially the WWII era to the present and the rapid cultural changes and shifts that happened within the country. It changed so much within forty years and went through so many phases. I think it's really interesting to see how some [aspects of historical culture] are still in part around today, for better or for worse.

What would you like to do after your graduate?

I don't really know. I'll probably work somewhere around Boston. Just like when I came into school, I've never really known exactly what I wanted to do. This past summer I did some museum work as an internship which I was interesting. I'm just going to look around and see what I can find, whether it's working in a museum or a library, or something completely different - I'm kind of open to just seeing what happens.

What do you do in your spare time?

I like to watch a lot of movies. I play drums in a band (Seven Leaves) which I've been doing for a while. I've just always really loved that; it's just nice to get together and play music with people. I play video games, hang out with friends, read books - a little of everything.

What's your favorite type of movie and what's your favorite movie right now?

That's tough. I would say it's probably a toss-up between sci-fi movies and horror movies at this point. This summer I saw The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the original one, for the first time. I really loved it, so that's the one that's stuck with me as a favorite, but it's hard for me to pick just one.

What's your favorite part of being at St. Mike's?

Probably just the community; everyone's really great, you know. It's so small that even if you don't really know someone, you know them enough to just say "hey" and have a small conversation in passing. It's just nice, everyone's really welcoming, and it's just a good place to be.

Thanks Tyler!

Want to learn more about the American Studies department? Check it out here!

Is there a particular major, club, or person you want to know more about? Contact me:

Email: cholloway@mail.smcvt.edu
Twitter: @thebeardedchris
Insta: @christhebeard

No comments:

Post a Comment